HomeHome  DotAtionaryDotAtionary  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Trilf's guide to Html coding

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Trilf

PostSubject: Trilf's guide to Html coding   Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:24 pm

How to do simple HTML
Made by Trilf. Intended for Dotationary only.

Having trouble using the online html code writer? Read this guide to learn all the basic coding you need.

Index

I. Introduction (01)
II. Text codes (02)
III. Web development using HTML (03)
IV. IMG HTML (04)
V. Practice (05)
VI. Conclusion (06)

*To find these topics quickly, Press ‘ctrl f’ (this only works on most browsers) and type in the number that is beside each content.*

Introduction

You may be thinking, what can HTML do me good in life? The answer is: If you’re going to have a computer and internet, you better learn it.

What is html?

Html is computer language. And you all know that computers are very fast and complicated. Now don’t think that you’re going to learn all of this. When I said “simple coding”, I mean it’s simple in an extent for html learning. Html is probably a very hard thing to master, and I’m going to teach the basics. I’m going to tell you everything I know (small amount) and you’ll probably use it for better purposes. I’m even using html right now.

Text Codes

Text codes are the most used codes in any html script. For windows users, Microsoft Word has a built in text coder.

For example: Clicking B will enable bold letters. It is toggled. But in html, you’ll have to do it the hard way.

All Html codes have things called tags, with brackets like these. [ ]
This indicates that you’ve started an action or a code. Inside the parenthesis, you can put whatever code you want.

Codes

There are millions of codes in html. I will just list the ones I know. All of these codes are spread out, just squash it back in the for the real one.

[ b ] Bold – Bold
[ i ] Italics – Italics
[ u ] Underline – Underline
[ color=? ] Color – It changes the color of the text. The “?” mark refers to what color you would like. For example, [ color=blue ].
[ size=? ] Size – This is the size of your text. I’m using 13 at the moment, you can use whatever you like. Example: [ size=20 ]
[ center ] Center – This centers the text. It just puts the text in the middle, for a different view.
[ font=? ] Font – This is the font you’re using. I’m using Arial right now, you can use things like: [ font=verdana ] , [ font=Georgia ] . . . From what I’ve seen, the internet html processor configures only Arial, Arial Black, Comic Sans, Courier New, Georgia, Impact, Times New Roman, Trebuchet MS, Verdana. Basically, these are the limits to your fonts.
[ url=?] url/hyperlink – It hyperlinks a piece of text. It must be a web address. For example: [ url= www.dotationary.wow3.info]
< a href =“?” > Link – This is a different format of html, and it is more advanced. This is used to link this to images or web addresses. For example: < a href = www.dotationary.tk > The best Dota Dictionary < /a >. “The best Dota Dictionary” is what they’ll see, but when they click on the link, it redirects them to dotationary. This is called anchoring. < a >

REMEMBER! ALWAYS END AN HTML CODE WITH A “/”. FOR EXAMPLE: [ color=blue ]I rock![ / color ]. And remember, all the coding I listed, you must squash it up so the codes are next to each other. Like [b], not like [ b ]

Web development using HTML

To view a whole lot more info check out JimmyR’s HTML and CSS Tutorial

HTML Web Development is the most basic form web development. I think the Admin used Forumotion for Dotationary, I am not sure. But basically, the Admin on this site used a visual html editor. What this means, he’s using another program or system to organize things on the site, while are going to learn to make a site from scratch. Remember, even html created the system to create website. Html does everything! Muahaha *Cough* sorry, back to the topic: Watch the video to get a full understanding.

IMG HTML

The image tag is [ img ] [ /img ]. To show a picture, or upload one, you need to have a picture on a host. To find a host you can go to Imageshack or Photobucket. I recommend Imageshack. Using photobucket is better, but the pictures fade away easily if you aren’t active.

Imageshack – Sign up and activate your account. Go and upload an image. Go the image details and click on the forum link. Ctrl+C or right click and copy. Go to wherever you want to write this and copy and paste/Ctrl+V. Imageshack comes with a stupid Url tag, you can delete that as your wish. Just delete the [ url=“?” ] part.
Photobucket – Sign up and activate the account. Go and upload image(s). Just click the IMG part and copy+paste to your location. Simple and fast, but the disadvantage is that it disappears after a while…

Practice

You can start practicing by commenting here, and doing a [b] code. I hope that you’ll learn something from this. Maybe, write a guide, tutorial, assignment, homework, develop your own site. Html is what made the computer, not the computer.

Conclusion

So, this concludes my guide about html, which is full of html. This is my third attempt for a guide, and I’ll keep em’ coming. Thanks to everyone…

Special thanks to the ctrl+Z,C,V,X,S - Wikipedia, Youtube, JimmyR, Dotationary and my brain. High recommendations to watch JimmyR’s video.

Made by Trilf.

Last edited by Trilf on Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I owned you that's why.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ExcalibuR
EAD Teams

PostSubject: Re: Trilf's guide to Html coding   Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:42 am

Well, nice mini guide!
Some newb cud get ureful info esp. in posting, with this list.

DotAtionary Elder

PostSubject: Re: Trilf's guide to Html coding   Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:56 am

Trilf wrote:

< a href =“?” > Link – This is a different format of html, and it is more advanced. This is used to link this to images or web addresses. For example: < a href = www.dotationary.tk > The best Dota Dictionary < /a >. “The best Dota Dictionary” is what they’ll see, but when they click on the link, it redirects them to dotationary. This is called anchoring. < a >

This isn't a different format of html, it IS html. The majority of your guide actually deals with BB Code, which is just the code used in forums.

Trilf wrote:
[ url=?] url/hyperlink – It hyperlinks a piece of text. It must be a web address. For example: [ url= www.dotationary.wow3.info]
It can link to images as well.

You might also find the [code*] [/code*] tag useful. Pretty obvious what you'd use it for so ill just give an example:
Code:
[b]This is how you make bold text in BB Code[/b]

And what does the
tag do? I don't recall ever coming across it. Also, i'd like to submit this resource: http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp

Side Note: @Trilf: Your html links etc aren't showing because you haven't enabled html in your posts. (I copy-pasted and previewed one of your links in one of my posts and it worked fine)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trilf

PostSubject: Re: Trilf's guide to Html coding   Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:14 am

I'm not perfect. I'll learn from w3schools
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TwistedFirestarter
DotAtionary Elder

PostSubject: Re: Trilf's guide to Html coding   Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:23 am

Yeah, sorry ><

When i finished reading your guide, i couldn't help but point out the flaw(s). Anyway no one is perfect.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
KB
DotAtionary Elder

Location : First you must go to the water. Search for the independent clauses. Find the oxidation number of CO2

PostSubject: Re: Trilf's guide to Html coding   Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:17 pm

I think I more use BBcodes than HTML, I just use HTML on friendster.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://pinoydotablog.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trilf's guide to Html coding   

Back to top Go down

Trilf's guide to Html coding
Page 1 of 1